EEO Lawyer

Have you suffered from discrimination in the workplace? Contact an EEO attorney to file an official complaint and do what’s possible to hold your employer accountable for the mistreatment you’ve experienced.

Many federal employees spend much of their lives at work, which is why it is so important for companies to provide a safe space for each individual. When employees feel mistreated, harassed, or discriminated against based or their age, gender, sex, or religion, it makes it hard for them to be productive and keep morale high.

If you’re suffering from discrimination at work, whether by your manager or a coworker, it’s important to know that you’re protected under the law. You can file an official complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and take steps to hold the responsible party accountable for their actions. An EEO lawyer from Snider & Associates, LLC can guide you through each step of the process. 

Protection against Discrimination at Work

There are many federal laws that protect you from discrimination and mistreatment in the workplace, and the EEOC enforces these laws. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is one of the most well-known antidiscrimination acts. This act makes it unlawful for employers to discriminate based on sex, race, color, national origin, or religion.

Other laws that protect employees against discrimination include:

  • The Age Discrimination in Employment Act
  • The Pregnancy Discrimination Act
  • The Equal Pay Act
  • The Americans with Disabilities Act
  • The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act

Examples of Workplace Discrimination 

There are many ways in which discrimination can happen in the workplace. For example, if a company doesn’t hire a potential employee because they’re pregnant, then the company is discriminating against the pregnant applicant. If an employee harasses another at work because of their religious practices, they’re also committing discrimination.

Employers that deny promotions or pay raises because of genetic disorders or deny equal pay based on gender are taking part in workplace discrimination, as well. Another example involves discharging someone for unjust reasons based on a disability, their race, or any other factor that’s protected under the antidiscrimination laws above. 

Filing an EEO Complaint

If you believe your employer has discriminated against you at work, you may file an EEO complaint and do what’s possible to hold your employer accountable. You should have an EEO counselor assigned to the federal agency where you work, and they can assist with this process. You can either go to EEO counseling or attend an alternative dispute resolution (ADR) program, such as mediation, with your employer.

If these options don’t help resolve the issue, then you can file a formal discrimination complaint through your agency’s EEO office. The EEOC will investigate your case, and you can either let the EEOC decide a verdict on their own or you can request a hearing in front of an EEOC administrative judge.

While you’re required to file an official discrimination complaint, you’ll have multiple opportunities throughout the process to drop the complaint and file a private lawsuit against your employer. Having an experienced EEO attorney by your side can be helpful in making the best decision based on your circumstances.  

Reach Out to an EEO Attorney

No one deserves to suffer from discrimination at work, but if you let it slide without consequence, it can continue to happen. Our goal at Snider & Associates, LLC is to stop discrimination from occurring so you can get the respect you deserve. If you’re ready to speak with an EEO lawyer about your case, call 410-653-9060 or fill out the contact form below to schedule a consultation.