One of the worst ways an employer can mistreat an employee at work is to not pay them the amount of money they deserve for the hours they’ve put in. The main reason employees go to work each day and work overtime hours is to get paid so they can support themselves and their families. When an employer takes away the main incentive for employment, conflict ensues.

You shouldn’t be afraid to take action if you know your employer is withholding wages from you. The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) enforces the payment of wages to employees. You can file a claim against your employer to receive backpay. If necessary, you can sue your employer for liquidated damages, as well.

A federal unpaid wages lawyer from Snider & Associates, LLC can support you through the claims process and escalate your claim to a lawsuit.

Federal Wage Laws

Not only does the FLSA enforce the payment of wages to employees, but it also sets the federal minimum wage and establishes overtime policies for employees. The federal minimum wage is currently $7.25 per hour, but many states have increased their state minimum wage.

Under federal law, employers are required to pay employees one- and one-half times their standard rate of pay for hours worked over forty hours in one workweek. Employees should keep records of their hours to hold their employers accountable for payment. 

The Unpaid Wages Claims Process

If you believe your employer is withholding wages from you, you can file an unpaid wages claim through the U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division (WHD). If your claim relates to your state’s minimum wage law, however, you must file through your state’s wage and hour division. To file a claim through the WHD, you can go to your nearest WHD office or call the WHD toll-free at 866-4-USWAGE.

After investigating your claim, if the WHD decides that your employer is guilty of withholding wages from you, they may order your employer to pay back your wages.

Suing for Unpaid Wages

The WHD may also offer to sue your employer on your behalf if they believe the situation is serious enough. You have the option, however, to refuse their offer and instead file a private lawsuit against your employer. Suing your lawyer for unpaid wages can result in an award of both backpay and liquidated damages. 

Contact a Federal Unpaid Wages Attorney

When your employer withholds your wages, the consequences for you and your family can be serious. Everyone deserves payment for the time they put in at work, and you must fight for your rights as an employee if you want justice. You can use evidence such as pay stubs, time records, and witness statements to support your case.

Speaking to an attorney can make filing a claim less stressful. If you’re ready to discuss your case with a federal unpaid wages lawyer from Snider & Associates, LLC, call 410-653-9060 or fill out the contact form below to schedule a consultation.