Fair Labor Standards Act Lawyer

If you believe your employer is keeping your hard-earned wages from you, then you can file a claim against them and seek justice. Reach out to a Fair Labor Standards Act attorney for help with the claims process.

Everyone deserves payment for the time and effort they put in at their job. The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) enforces the proper payment of wages to employees. If your employer isn’t paying you minimum wage or refuses to pay you for overtime hours you’ve worked, then they’re violating the FLSA and you can hold them accountable under federal law.

At Snider & Associates, LLC, we handle a variety of unpaid wage cases. A Fair Labor Standards Act lawyer from our team will investigate your situation and use evidence to prove why you deserve compensation. We can file your claim and, if necessary, escalate your claim to a lawsuit so that your employer understands the consequences of their actions. 

The Enforcement of Unpaid Wages under the FLSA

The FLSA enforces the payment of wages to employees in a few areas. The act establishes a federal minimum wage, creates policies for overtime pay eligibility, discusses record-keeping tactics, and also enforces child labor standards for part-time and full-time employees in the private and public workforce.

Policies for Federal Overtime Pay and Minimum Wage

The FLSA defines overtime pay as one and one-half times an employee’s standard pay rate. Employers must pay overtime-eligible employees this additional compensation for any hours worked over forty hours in a single workweek.

Employees must keep records of their time with an attendance sheet to receive overtime pay. The human resources department of each federal employer will determine whether an employee is overtime eligible using the U.S. Department of Labor’s standards.

The federal minimum wage is currently $7.25 per hour, but many states have their own minimum wage policies that most employers follow.

If you believe your employer isn’t paying you the correct minimum wage, you can file a federal claim to recover up to $7.25 an hour; however, if your state’s minimum wage is higher than the federal minimum wage, you can file a claim with your state’s Wage and Hour Division.

How to File a Claim for Your Unpaid Wages

To file a claim for unpaid wages with the Federal Government, you can do so through the U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division (WHD). WHD investigators work throughout the country to enforce the FLSA. You can go to your nearest WHD office to file a claim or call WHD toll-free at 866-4USWAGE.

Once you contact the WHD, an investigator will look into your case and determine whether your employer is guilty of withholding wages from you. If your employer is guilty, the WHD may require them to pay back your wages. The WHD may also sue your employer on your behalf. You have the right, however, to refuse this option and file a private lawsuit instead. 

Contact a Fair Labor Standards Act Attorney

If you take legal action against your employer, you can sue them for back pay and liquidated damages. You shouldn’t be afraid to confront your employer about the wages you deserve. With an experienced attorney by your side, you can feel confident moving forward with your claim.

If you’re ready to speak with a Fair Labor Standards Act lawyer from Snider & Associates, LLC, fill out the contact form below or call 410-653-9060 to schedule a consultation.