If you’ve been discriminated against at work or you’re dealing with some other employment dispute, you may need legal help to hold your employer accountable and seek justice for your mistreatment. If you’ve never experienced difficulties at work before now, you’ll likely have questions about the legal process regarding employment litigation. 

What makes employment litigation complex is that, for many cases, you must file a claim through a specific employment agency before you may take legal action. Although you may not sue your employer right away, you can talk to an employment lawyer about your situation as soon as it occurs.

A federal employment lawyer from Snider & Associates, LLC can support you with your employment-related issues and answer questions you have along the way.   

What Issues Does an Employment Lawyer Handle?

An employment lawyer can handle employment discrimination claims, issues with pay and overtime, cases involving unfair labor practices and labor laws, whistleblower complaints, Office of the Special Counsel complaints, and Merit Systems Protection Board appeals, among others. If you’re in any situation at work where you feel like your employee rights have been violated, an employment lawyer can help. 

Can I Sue for Workplace Discrimination?

You can sue for workplace discrimination; however, you must first file a workplace discrimination claim through the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). There are various points in the claims process when you can abandon your claim and file a lawsuit.

You can sue your employer after 180 days have passed from the day you filed your complaint if the agency hasn’t made a decision and no appeal has been filed. You can sue your employer within ninety days from when you receive the agency’s decision on your complaint if no appeal has been filed. 

If the EEOC hasn’t made a decision within 180 days after you file your appeal, then you can sue your employer. You can also sue your employer within ninety days after you receive a decision from the EEOC about your appeal.

How does the EEOC Claims Process Work?

You can file your claim with the EEOC by reaching out to your agency’s EEO counselor. Your EEO counselor may require you to attend EEO counseling or an alternative dispute resolution program with your employer.

If you can’t resolve your issue with your employer, then your EEO counselor will officially file your claim and your agency will investigate whether there’s probable cause for workplace discrimination. Your agency may provide a remedy for your claim, or they may deny your claim. You can appeal the agency’s decision if they deny your claim, or you can sue your employer privately.

Reach Out to a Federal Employment Attorney

The EEOC federal claims process is complex. If you have to appeal your claim to the EEOC, you may have to go through various stages before reaching a favorable decision, and it can be helpful to have an experienced employment attorney on your side. Regardless of what employment issue you’re dealing with, a federal employment lawyer can ease your concerns and help you get justice.

To speak with our knowledgeable team at Snider & Associates, LLC and get your questions answered, call 410-653-9060 or fill out the contact form below to schedule a consultation.