You spend a large percentage of your life at work to make a living and pay your bills. If your employer doesn’t pay you for the time you’ve worked, it can feel like a slap in the face. For example, you may have worked overtime to afford meals for your family or your child’s tuition, and if your employer is withholding these wages, it can prevent you from doing your job as a parent.

It’s essential to recover your unpaid wages from your employer, and it’s possible to do so by filing a claim with the U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division (WHD). A federal unpaid wages lawyer from Snider & Associates, LLC will speak up on your behalf and prove why you deserve back pay or liquidated damages for this injustice. 

Federal Minimum Wage and Overtime Laws

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) enforces the proper payment of wages to employees. This includes enforcing the minimum wage, setting regulations for overtime, enacting record-keeping policies, and setting child labor standards.

The federal minimum wage is currently $7.25 per hour, but depending on the state where you live, your state’s minimum wage may be higher. If your employer isn’t paying you the correct minimum wage, you can file a claim through the WHD or through your state’s agency to recover the compensation you deserve.

All employees eligible for overtime must receive one- and one-half times their standard pay rate for any hours they work over forty hours in a single workweek. To receive overtime pay, employees must keep a record of their overtime hours. Each employer’s human resources department determines an employee’s overtime eligibility based on the U.S. Department of Labor’s policies.

Filing a Complaint with the Wage and Hour Division

If your employer is withholding your wages, you can file a complaint through the WHD by going to your nearest WHD office or by calling the WHD toll-free at 866-4USWAGE. A WHD investigator will look into your case to determine whether your employer is guilty of withholding wages. The WHD may require your employer to pay you back wages, or they may sue your employer on your behalf.

You also may file a private lawsuit against your employer if the WHD finds your employer guilty.

Contact a Federal Unpaid Wages Attorney

It’s important to speak up when you experience injustice at work or you may never receive a remedy to your problem. Whether you need to recover overtime wages that your employer refuses to pay you or you need to fight for the minimum wage you are owed, our team will support you through the claims process and escalate your claim to a lawsuit when necessary.

At Snider & Associates, LLC, we’re determined to give a voice to mistreated employees and prevent employers from breaking the law. To speak with a federal unpaid wages lawyer from our team, fill out the contact form below or call 410-653-9060 to schedule a consultation.