Maryland Overtime Pay Lawyer

If you’ve worked overtime hours and your employer hasn’t paid you the correct wages for that time, reach out to an overtime pay attorney in Maryland to file an unpaid wages claim and seek backpay for the money you’ve been denied.

The federal government puts specific overtime laws in place to ensure employees are paid adequately for any hours they work in excess of a typical forty-hour work week. These laws are outlined in the Federal Labor Standards Act (FLSA). In addition to federal laws, each state reinforces the federal overtime law by putting specific state overtime laws into place. These labor laws are meant to protect employees.

If you live in Maryland and have been denied wages for the overtime you’ve worked, filing a complaint can be the first step in seeing that you’re paid for the time you’ve worked and your employer is properly reprimanded for breaking the law. A Maryland overtime pay lawyer from Snider & Associates, LLC can guide you through the complex complaint process and support you every step of the way.

Overtime Laws Specific to Maryland

The overtime law that applies both federally and in Maryland requires employers to pay employees one-and-one-half times their hourly pay rate for any hours worked in excess of forty hours in any given work week. What’s different in Maryland’s overtime laws, however, is that employers can require employees to work overtime.

Employees of bowling alleys, movie theaters, hotels, and gas stations are exempt from overtime laws in Maryland, and registered nurses are exempt from mandatory overtime laws unless an emergency or other specific circumstance arises.

The statute of limitations in the state of Maryland for filing both federal and state unpaid wages claims is two years.

How to File an Unpaid Wages Claim in Maryland

If you’d like to claim unpaid wages in the state of Maryland, you can file your claim in Maryland’s Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation, or you can file your claim federally with the Wage and Hour Division of the United States Department of Labor. Regardless of where you file your claim, an investigation will be done to determine whether your employer should have to remedy the situation.

If the state of Maryland or the Wage and Hour Division doesn’t give you the remedy you hoped for, you always have the right to file a private lawsuit against your employer. You can seek compensation in civil court or press criminal charges against them, depending on the circumstances. An employment lawyer in Maryland can help you determine which route makes the most sense.

Contact a Maryland Overtime Pay Attorney

When you work long hours each week, you’re entitled to overtime pay. It can be disheartening when an employer refuses to pay you the wages you deserve. At Snider & Associates, LLC, we strive to give mistreated employees a strong voice so that both state and federal agencies will understand what their employees have been through. Hopefully, with our help, you’ll walk away from your case with more clarity.

If you’re prepared to speak with a Maryland overtime pay lawyer about your case, fill out the contact form below or call 410-653-9060 to schedule a consultation.