Workplace Rights Lawyer

If you’ve been discriminated against at work or your employer is otherwise depriving you of or violating your rights, reach out to a workplace rights attorney to file a complaint and seek justice for your mistreatment.

You spend a large majority of your life in the workplace, so it’s important that you feel safe and respected by your employer. Although you may not enjoy going to work every day, your workplace environment should never feel threatening or hostile. When your employer doesn’t provide a safe atmosphere or discriminates against employees, they’re breaking the law.

You can file an official complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) to hold your employer accountable for your mistreatment. A workplace rights lawyer from Snider & Associates, LLC can gather information to support your claim so you feel confident standing up for what you deserve. 

Laws that Protect Employees at Work

There are numerous federal laws protecting employees from discrimination and mistreatment in the workplace. The most notable law is Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. This law makes it illegal for employers to discriminate against employees on the basis of sex, color, national origin, race, or religion.

Other laws protecting against antidiscrimination include:

  • The Equal Pay Act
  • The Age Discrimination in Employment Act
  • The Americans with Disabilities Act
  • The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act
  • The Pregnancy Discrimination Act

The EEOC also enforces laws against sexual harassment and retaliation in the workplace.

How to Identify Discrimination in the Workplace

Discrimination can occur at work in many ways. Some employers may not consider hiring a potential employee because they have a disability or because the employee is pregnant. An employer may also allow discriminatory harassment, make gender-specific promotions or pay cuts, or fire employees based on their race or religion. Any of these discriminatory actions impinges on an employee’s workplace rights and is against the law.

If you’re unsure whether your employer’s actions violate the EEOC’s policies, a workplace rights attorney can look into your case and give you guidance on whether your experience warrants an official complaint.

The EEO Complaint Process 

You can file an EEO complaint with the EEOC online, by phone, by mail, or at your nearest EEOC office. Speaking to an EEOC member is the best way to file a complaint, because the staff member can record your statement and hear your story firsthand. If you’re a federal employee, you can file your complaint with the EEO counselor assigned to your federal agency.

Once you’ve filed your complaint, the EEOC will investigate your case. The federal complaint process may require you to attend EEO counseling or an alternative dispute resolution program with your employer. If these mediation options fail, you can move forward with a formal investigation. 

Consult a Workplace Rights Attorney

Regardless of whether you’re a federal, public, or private employee, you’ll likely have the chance to file a private lawsuit at some point in the complaint process. Your attorney from Snider & Associates, LLC can advise whether a lawsuit is the best way to resolve your case. To speak with a workplace rights lawyer from our team, fill out the contact form below or call 410-653-9060 to schedule a consultation.