How to File an Employment Discrimination Lawsuit

Being discriminated against at work can leave you feeling unhappy and unsure of what the future holds. You need to work to make a living, but staying in a toxic environment can be challenging. Your employer shouldn’t be allowed to mistreat you or deny you advancements because of your race, age, religion, or disability. Thankfully, you can hold your employer accountable for their unlawful actions.

While you’ll need to file an official complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) first, you may be able to escalate your complaint to a lawsuit once the EEOC has reviewed your incident. An experienced workplace discrimination lawyer from Snider & Associates, LLC can review your case and guide you through every step of the process to ensure your voice is heard.

Filing an EEOC Complaint

To file a complaint with the EEOC, you can go to your nearest EEOC office or file by phone, online, or by mail. You’ll have 180 days from when your discrimination incident occurred to file this complaint and 300 days if your state or local labor laws give you double protection against the discrimination that took place. Once you file and provide the EEOC with all of the information and evidence, they’ll deliberate.

The EEOC may ask that you and your employer go to mediation about the discrimination. Your employer may try to amend the issue during this time. If you don’t agree to mediation, the EEOC will continue with an initial decision. You may be awarded compensation for the discrimination you’ve experienced, and your employer may have to pay penalties.

If the EEOC doesn’t give you the initial decision you hoped for, you can send in a petition for a review and they’ll investigate further. A final decision will then be made, and if you still aren’t happy with their decision, you can request a right to sue.

Consult with a Federal Employment Attorney

Escalating a discrimination complaint to a lawsuit seems complicated, but once you receive a right to sue from the EEOC, you’ll be able to move forward with a civil lawsuit against your employer. If you’re ready to discuss your case with a federal employment lawyer from Snider & Associates, LLC, you can call 410-653-9060 or fill out the contact form below to schedule a consultation today.